Tuesday, July 13, 2010

english change ringing

IMG_1984
We went to a church south of Cambridge recently to witness the English bell ringing technique called change ringing. I have learned about this on many of the weekly Cambridge walking tours I take, and was very curious to see how it's done.

"Change ringing is the art of ringing a set of tuned bells in a series of mathematical patterns called "changes." It differs from many other forms of campanology in that no attempt is made to produce a conventional melody. It remains most popular in the context where, in the 17th century, it developed: English church towers."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_ringing)

IMG_1995
IMG_1996
Up in the bell tower. The bells weighed some thousand pounds each. Some of them were as old as the 15th Century, and some had been melted down and re-cast.

IMG_2003
Going up all those rickety ladders made me very aware of how long it had been since I'd climbed a ladder, and how rusty I was. But I survived.

IMG_2007
The ringers. It looked physically strenuous and even more mentally strenuous to play, but there was a little 8 year old girl amongst them, making it seem easy. (See the rickety ladder over there?!)

IMG_2027
The "music"/ bell sequences they MEMORIZE and play. Ok, not so easy. It blows my mind, actually.

1 comment:

  1. That book of changes is nuts! So amazing!
    Hey B- I'm thankful you didn't get amnesia on that tour...
    those ladders don't look very solid at all, but o so picturesque!

    ReplyDelete