Sunday, February 28, 2010

english to english: fringe

Whilst talking with my English friend Issy the other day we hit a bit of a communication speed bump when I mentioned once cutting my bangs. It was then that I learned the British call bangs a FRINGE. At first I thought it was really funny but after thinking about it for a minute realized it was a MUCH more accurate name. [ see Exhibit A ]


[ Exhibit A ]
Right?

Then I began to wonder for the first time why the heck we call them BANGS in the US. I had never realized what a random name it was. So, I did some research on the etymology of the word and I learned that there are a couple of different reasons:

1. the term may have been adapted from the concept hair ending ubruptly or being "cut bang off."

2. beginning in the 1800s the hair style for humans was influenced by and named after "bang-tailed" horses whose tails are trimmed straight across.

Well, there you have it. But even after this new enlightenment, I continue to giggle to myself whenever I call bangs a FRINGE. And I can't help picturing this:




2 comments:

  1. hahahah :) Oh I LOVE British English!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know what 'Bent' is yet? (E.g., "Is he bent?").

    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete