Friday, March 19, 2010

39 & 40 of 51

Within the 1/2 mile of bike trail on our ride home tonight from our weekly pot luck, we counted 51 toads and frogs. Meet numbers 39 and 40.



Not at all camera shy, 40 was more patient with me taking pictures than I usually am with Andrea. Of course, I have important things to do while toads can apparently loiter away their entire Friday night on a bike trail. I'm sure they were up to no good, that's why 39 is standing against the wall (curb) like he is being punished. English toad parents just can't control their kids anymore. And mixing with frogs? I'm not even going to get into that. Anyway, here are some theories to explain why there would be so many amphibians on our path:

1) It rained this evening. When rain falls on pavement, it grows worms. Frogs eat worms. I'll leave the inference to you.

2) It is Spring, and in the Spring some animals get... frisky. Somewhere in the mid-thirties two of the toads gave evidence for this theory.

3) One of the college film societies was showing The Princess and the Frog. The toads tried to go, but couldn't find it because of England's bad road signs.

4) This is the scariest theory. The bike trail passes some of the Cambridge laboratories. Maybe evil scientists were attracting them to use them in an evil plot. At first I suspected head mounted lasers, but then I remembered something like this has happened before...

1 comment:

  1. I realize it is lame to comment on my own post before anyone else has, but I have an update. Friday, we saw at least five frogs that had experienced the bike part of our bike trail. This morning there was no trace of them. It looks like someone is covering their tracks a little too well.

    ReplyDelete